Saturday, January 1, 2011

REflection...



At work, someone asked me a surprisingly poignant question: What 10 things are you leaving behind in 2010?

As first thought, this is the typical New Years'-facebook-status-update query, but upon further inspection- it has some profound implications.

See, I pride myself on setting goals every year (-- heck, i set GOALS every week). But with all I am attempting to add to my life, I rarely consider what I will need to leave behind. Letting go of the old, in order to make room for the NEW. What bad habits must I to put down, in order to pick up new, BETTER habits?

Its funny, I recently told a friend I really enjoyed a recent weekend trip to Cali (hometown), cause it reminded me I could SUSTAIN on stuff packed in only two carry-on bags. Sometimes I need to be reminded, that too much stuff- can really weight you down. That extra 'stuff' could be anything from the excess clothes in your closet, to the resentment you feel towards a family member, to the shame you carry for not being as PERFECT as people perceive.

So here goes...


the QUESTION:
"What are the top 10 things you're leaving behind in 2010"

my ANSWER:
"I plan on leaving behind...
Empty promises received
M&Ms and Snickers bars (*sigh*... again)
Self doubt / Negative body image
Tolerance of disrespectful individuals
Several discarded numbers from my phone
My 1st house
My fear of failure
A cluttered closet
Tons of clothes that don't represent my style
The thought of my EX and I rekindling a relationship
My complacency spending the evening at home, alone#hermitstyle
My debate regarding going back to school



3 comments: